WeWorld-GVC, recently constituted from the merger of two NGOs, is an Italian secular and independent organization working since 1971 in international cooperation and humanitarian aid. Present in 29 countries with 128 projects, WeWorld-GVC operates in the following areas of assistance: human rights (gender equality, prevention and combating violence against children and women, migration), humanitarian aid (prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation), food security, access to water, health and hygiene, education, global citizenship education, quality teaching and international volunteering. WeWorld-GVC works mostly with girls, boys, women and youth, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world. Supports people overcoming emergencies and guarantees a life with dignity, opportunities and a better future through human and economic development programs, in the framework of the 2030 Agenda. Joining the WeWorld-GVC team means being part of the development of a dynamic organisation where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of shared goals and vision. At present, the main donors are Italy (AICS), the EU (DG ECHO), UNICEF, OCHA, and Belgium (DGD).
Position: Project Manager WASH Syria
Location: Syria, Damascus
Type of contract: a first 3 (three) month collaboration contract subject to verification of the achievement of specific objectives (these objectives will be agreed together with the Country Representative upon arrival on assignment); a second collaboration contract of 9 (nine) months renewable, following the positive evaluation of the first three months of contract and depending on available funding
Starting date: ASAP
Gross Salary: to be defined according to the candidate’s profile
Application deadline: 06/12/2022
The presence of GVC in Syria dates back to 2011, with an emergency education intervention in favour of Iraqi refugees in Aleppo. The programme aimed at improving the quality and the accessibility of educational services for students, with special needs in 12 primary schools in Aleppo.
Since 2014, GVC has been providing humanitarian assistance to the Syrian population and IDPs with interventions in different sectors such as Education in Emergency and Wash. At present, the main donors are EU (ECHO), individual countries (AICS) and United Nations.
WeWorld-GVC is recruiting a Project Manager WASH who will be primarily involved in the management of emergency projects, and will support the mission with other assignments depending on the necessity. He/She will report to the Program Manager and work in coordination with Local Coordinators and Country Representative.
Main tasks and responsibilities
· Responsible of all aspects of finance, administrative, human resource and logistics management related to emergency projects, ensuring knowledge of and adherence to applicable operational systems, donor requirements and WeWorld-GVC country strategy
· Prepare and follow up comprehensive M&E plan for the supervised projects, in cooperation with the MEAL Department, including resource needs analysis, covering the time frames of the project proposals.
· Represent WeWorld-GVC at relevant meetings with partners and projects stakeholders, reporting back as applicable to the Programs Manager and Country Representative
· Responsible for the development of project work plans and budgets (financial plans)
· Ensure effective coordination, timely and quality implementation and monitoring of project activities to meet deliverables in accordance with standards, time line, and budget
· Follow-up all the engineering/construction/technical dimension of the program, under the supervision of the Program Manager
· Assist the Program Manager or Country Representative with the identification and design of future projects
· Conduct technical needs assessments in coordination with the Program Manager
· Ensure budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations and within the appropriate timeframe, updating the Program Manager of the financial status of the projects
· Highlight and bring to the attention of Program Manager/Country Representative good practices and opportunities raising from the implementation of the supervised projects
· Collaborate effectively with the Local Coordinators to ensure smooth implementation of the projects’ activities and coordination of field work
· Work closely with the Program Manager in establishing and maintaining collaborative and high performing team and a good working environment
· Work closely with the Program Manager to develop and build an effective team
· In collaboration with the MEAL Officer and the Local Coordinators, develop and implement constant monitoring systems to improve follow up, transparency and to ensure the best use of WeWorld-GVC assets and resources
· Make sure project activities and reports are delivered in time and with the best quality
· Support preparation of documents and agenda during field visits and at other relevant projects’ milestones
· Ensure accurate and timely preparation of annual reports as well as interim reports as required by donors
Perform any other duty as requested by the line manager and the Country Representative.
Qualifications and Knowledge
· An advanced university degree or equivalent in the field of Social or Political Science, Development Studies, International relations, Project Management
· Knowledge of main donors’ policies and procedures (ECHO, UN Agencies, EU, Italian Cooperation)
· Fluent in written and spoken English
· Good computer skills, in particular MS Office package
· At least 6 years’ of relevant working experience in humanitarian or development settings
· At least 4 years’ experience in Project Cycle Management
· Proven experience in project proposal writing
Skills and Abilities
· Strong interpersonal relationships and demonstrated ability to leverage business networks and partnerships for continued growth
· Good communication and leadership skills
· Ability to perform under stress condition
· Capacity to work autonomously and in problems prevention/resolution
· Ability to think strategically and conceptually and to translate these into concrete results
· Ability to identify, initiate and maintain good relationships with partner organizations, donors and national authorities including building professional relationships with senior decision-makers and influencers/leaders
· Proven organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues
· Integrity in line with the Humanitarian Principles and ethical standards
· Strong commitment to WeWorld–GVC Mission
· Cultural, gender, religion, and age sensitivity and adaptability
· Previous experience in Syria or in the Syrian crisis context
· Previous experience in WASH
· Previous Experience in Early Recovery, Livelihoods and Energy
· Knowledge of Arabic and Italian
The recruitment process may be closed early if a suitable candidate is found.