WeWorld is an independent Italian organization that has been working in international cooperation and humanitarian aid for 50 years. It supports people in overcoming emergencies, and it strives to guarantee that everyone can have a decent and dignified life as well as opportunities and a better future. WeWorld works in 27 countries around the world, including in Italy, with more than 165 emergency, humanitarian aid and development projects. Its activities mainly involve women, girls and young people, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world. The organization operates in several natural and man-made crisis in various regions of the world. The emergency response, coordinated by the Humanitarian Aid Unit, is composed by multi-sectorial interventions comprising of WASH, EiE, CVA, Food Security, Protection, and others. The organization operates also in protracted crisis with provision of humanitarian aid through a prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation approach.
Position: Country Logistics Manager Burundi
Location: Bujumbura, Burundi
Starting date: 1st November 2023
Family duty station: YES
WeWorld supports people in overcoming emergencies, and it strives to guarantee that everyone can have a decent and dignified life as well as opportunities and a better future. WeWorld has been present in Burundi since 1995 and is currently active in 13 of the country’s provinces. During these 25 years of continuous presence in the country and thanks to funding from various donors (ECHO, Italian Cooperation, USAID, UNICEF, FAO, WFP, Netherlands Embassy, GIZ, DUE, UNHCR), WeWorld has carried out actions in the health, nutrition, food security, protection and EHA sectors.
Purpose of the Role
WeWorld is recruiting a Country Logistics Manager based in Bujumbura. She/He works under the direct supervision of the Country Representative and under the technical supervision of the Logistics Manager for Africa. She/He works in coordination with the Country Finance Manager, and the Projects Managers.
Main tasks and responsibilities
· Ensures strict application and respect of WeWorld and Donors procurement procedures and guidelines
· Adapts the Global Manuals and guidelines to the Country context
· Ensures the Logistics Department and its teams are involved and contributing in every step of the supply chain and project cycle to ensure efficiency
· Supports and builds capacity of the procurement and logistics staff working on the mission through specific training plans and follow up to scale up and augment current procurement and logistics capability
· Ensures the HR setup is proactively and properly sized to the level of operations
· Ensures the team under his/ her supervision respects HR and ethical standards
· Ensures smooth collection and/or dissemination of relevant procurement and logistics information at mission level by maintaining optimal coordination routine system and tools (meetings, reports, situation points)
· Promotes and ensures a pro-active link between the programs and procurement and logistics teams and plays an interface role when needed
· Strengths the presence in the Country for ensuring high level of collaboration with all the stakeholders (technical working group, authorities, communities, vendors)
· Supervises and support the management of Procurement Procedures in accordance to WeWorld Global Procurement Manual and Donor Guidelines from the planning to the completion
· Directly manages the high value procurement processes and all the other procedures in case of gaps or specific needs
· Establishes Contract Management routine throughout project cycle including the close follow up on complex Contracts
· Ensures procurement documents and files are archived and organized according to Archiving Guidelines to ensure effective organization and compliance for audits and reviews
· Creates Performance management processes for evaluating new/existing vendors and record information
· Establishes a specific Procurement strategy for ensuring high quality procurement processes and outputs
· Forecasts all upcoming launches and status updates as to balance the Procurement workload in accordance with projects goals and timing
· Supervises the optimization of the fleet
· Ensures the respect of standards vehicle management procedures
· Supervises the general follow up of the mission vehicles and reports (consumption checks, maintenance movement planning…)
· Conducts spot checks of vehicle condition and equipment
Asset/ Equipment Management
· Ensures the respect of standard procedures and ensure the implementation of specific controls/checks
· Ensures the correct management and the follow up of the equipment used on the mission (asset/equipment management database, coding, distribution, handover)
· Ensures regular inventory are done and feed properly the mission’s procurement tactics
Warehouse and Premise Management
· Supervises and supports the Logistics team to ensure the office has necessary supplies and equipment and all items are well maintained
· Provides advice and guidance on all warehouse management related matters and conducts on-the-job introduction to warehouse management
· Centralizes all logistics information available on the mission and consolidates a monthly report
· Assess logistics intra and inter department reporting quality for accuracy, punctuality and effectivity and support logistics coordinator in deploying effective reporting structure
· Is responsible for preparing supplies/service provider data base and draft resource map for existing projects
· Supervises the Procurement Plan creation and updating
· Provides inputs of procurement data for Interim and final procurement reports in accordance to donor needs
· Participation in context analysis and information gathering alongside the Head of Mission
· Define, update and monitor the effectiveness of the security plan at national level under the supervision of the HoM
· Responsible for conducting safety and security induction for expatriates and national employees
· Contributes to the implementation safety & security guidelines, SOP & plans
· Supports the preparedness (check contingency kits, first aid kits etc.) to evacuation and contingency plans
· Participates actively to logistics and security coordination as well as information meetings
· Establishes the work schedule of the logistics team in Bujumbura, delegates activities and monitors their execution
· Supports, coaches and evaluates the mission's logistics staff under his responsibility
· Organizes training courses for national logistics department managers (Bujumbura and field bases), in particular by running workshops on various logistics topics
· Forecasts logistics HR requirements and structuring the department (lead in the recruitment process whenever necessary)
· Briefs all new employees (national and expatriate) on logistics procedures, templates, chain of communication, etc.
Qualifications and Knowledge
· Degree in logistics, supply chain or equivalent certifications
· Knowledge of international humanitarian and development systems, institutions and donors’ programs (including European Union, UN), and of procedures, accountability frameworks and best practices
· Fluency in French and English, both written and oral
· Minimum 5 years of experience working as a Senior Logistics Manager in a humanitarian/recovery or development context
· Experience of working in complex and volatile contexts
Skills and Abilities
· Strong interpersonal relationships and demonstrated ability to leverage business networks and partnerships for continued growth
· Good communication and leadership skills
· Ability to perform under stress conditions
· Capacity to work autonomously and in problems prevention/resolution
· Skills in training and remote management support
· Ability to think strategically and conceptually and to translate these into concrete results
· Proven organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues
· Integrity in line with the Humanitarian Principles and ethical standards
· Strong commitment to WeWorld Mission
· Cultural, gender, religion, and age sensitivity and adaptability
· Previous experiences in Africa
· Previous experiences in managing large work contracts are considered an advantage
· Knowledge of Italian is an added value
WHAT WE OFFER
Type of contract: a first 6 (six) months contract subject to verification (achievement of specific objectives); a second collaboration contract of 6 (six) months renewable, following the positive evaluation of the first period of collaboration.
Economic conditions: to be defined according to WeWorld Expatriates Compensation Policy: Base Salary (seniority/role held) + Contributions (role complex and hardship based on place of work)
Others conditions: Personal Effects Transportation (12 months contract); First Accommodation (12 months contract); Tax Treatment: equal tax treatment between Italian and foreign residents is guaranteed
Family Duty Station: YES
Annual leave: 2,5 days/month (working days)
Flight ticket: one return flight every 12 months of contract
Health insurance: covered
The recruitment process may be closed early if a suitable candidate is found.
Due to the large number of applications, we apologise in advance and will only respond to those profiles deemed suitable for the role.
WeWorld is an equal opportunity organization and will not allow discrimination based upon age, ethnicity, ancestry, gender, national origin, disability, race, size, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, or any other status prohibited by applicable law.
WeWorld has also a zero-tolerance approach to any harm to, or exploitation of, a child or a vulnerable adult by any of our staff, related persons or partners. Safeguarding checks are part of the selection process.
WeWorld commitment to being a safe organization begins with the staff recruitment process which includes meticulous checks, such as criminal records checks or check disclosure of previous convictions, to ensure children and vulnerable people are safeguarded and abuse is prevented.
WeWorld promotes a welcoming, diverse and discrimination- and harassment-free workplace and expects the highest standards of behaviour from all its staff, who are requested to adhere to the principles and behavioural rules defined in the CoEC and the Organisational Poplicies.
The CoEC and all the internal policies can be found here: https://www.weworld.it/en/about-us/transparency