WeWorld, is an Italian secular and independent organization working since 1971 in international cooperation and humanitarian aid. Present in 29 countries with 128 projects, WeWorld operates in the following areas of assistance: human rights (gender equality, prevention and combating violence against children and women, migration), humanitarian aid (prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation), food security, access to water, health and hygiene, education, global citizenship education, quality teaching and international volunteering. WeWorld works mostly with girls, boys, women and youth, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world. Supports people overcoming emergencies and guarantees a life with dignity, opportunities and a better future through human and economic development programs, in the framework of the 2030 Agenda. Joining the WeWorld team means being part of the development of a dynamic organisation where the contribution of each staff member is promoted and valued, working together towards the collective achievement of shared goals and vision. At present, the main donors are Italy (AICS), the EU (DG ECHO), UNICEF, OCHA, and Belgium (DGD).
Position: Country Representative Tanzania (ad interim)
Report to: Head of Regional Unit
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Type of contract: a 5 (five) months collaboration contract
Starting date: ASAP
Gross Salary: to be defined according to the candidate’s profile
Application deadline: 06/04/2023
Family Duty Station: YES
Main functions and duties
Programme Management and Development
· Ensure that WeWorld in Tanzania complies with the local legislation and the requirements for the NGOs operating in the country.
· Supervise the child sponsorship programme (LDSP), ensuring that the sponsorship campaigns are carried out according to the timetable and the procedures of WeWorld (Child Sponsorships Manual), in collaboration with the LDSP Manager and the LDSP Officer and with the HQ.
· Lead the development and implementation of high-quality country strategic plan relevant to the local context and the organizational priorities.
· Lead and oversee the grants acquisition of new projects in the country, ensuring a long-term portfolio and achievement of annual targets.
· Lead, guide and supervise the project managers and partners’ coordinators on performance and quality control, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the projects to ensure the effective and efficient execution of project deliverables, in compliance with WeWorld standards.
· Lead and oversee the preparation and implementation of programme documents (including SOPs, policy briefs, Programme plans and Risk Assessments).
· Oversee the financial and logistic sustainability of programs and operations through effective and efficient resources development effort, outstanding financial ratios, effective budget administration and procurement management (i.e. management and maintenance of project assets and regular inventories).
· Assist the HQ to maintain public/media/donor relations to actively engage their interest/support in promoting and communicating WeWorld achievements, competencies and interest at global level.
Representation and advocacy
· Represent WeWorld in the Country in various fora on programmatic and technical issues, strategic meetings, conferences, forums and other public events and contribute towards consolidating and raising the profile of the organization.
· Engage and liaise with relevant national-level stakeholders (government representatives, donors, CSOs, networks, communities).
· Identify, engage and strengthen strategic in-country partnerships in line with WeWorld Country Strategic Plan and Regional Strategies.
· Identify additional areas of synergy and cooperation with donors, other NGOs, UN agencies and relevant institutions.
· Promote WeWorld's organizational identity and capacity towards all stakeholders and partners in Tanzania and ensure WeWorld remains relevant to the changing needs of disadvantaged people in the country.
· Establish priorities, in consultation with the Head of Regional office, for targeted investments in growth and innovation, contribute to the identification and implementation of innovation and continuous improvement, in support of organizational excellence and world-class performance.
· Coordinate with HQ, maintaining frequent contact with the Desk Officers, partners as well as relevant donors, in order to keep a regular update on the implementation of the project and to develop strategic planning.
· Identify and plan human resources needs (International and National).
· Direct and manage staff in the country, ensuring development of appropriate capabilities and competencies according to the strategic and operational needs of projects/programs.
· Ensure transparent, equal and inclusive management and training of human resources in accordance with the policy and procedures, and all regulatory requirements (WeWorld, host country legislation and donor’s policy).
· Foster an inclusive and diverse work environment and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
· Coordinate in the design, testing and communications of appropriate security and safety plans and programmes.
· Identify risks and threats in the areas of intervention in coordination with security officers of other NGOS/UN agencies.
· Develop and document emergency preparedness and disaster evacuation plans and programmes.
The duties and responsibilities set forth above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to perform additional duties.
Qualifications and Knowledge
· An advanced university degree or equivalent in the field of Social or Political Science, Development Studies, International relations, Project Management, Human Rights.
· Ability to assess needs, develop and write new project proposal.
· Good knowledge of MS Office.
· Fluent in English, both written and verbal.
· Minimum 5 years’ relevant working experience in related fields.
· Working experience with international NGOs in management of international cooperation projects funded by institutions, private donors and sponsorship programs.
· Extensive project development and proposal writing experience.
· Experience in Budget management and financial reporting.
· Experience in Security Management.
Skills and Abilities
· Strong managerial competencies and good knowledge of Sponsorship Programs and main international donors’ policies and procedures.
· Strong flexibility and capacity to adapt behavior to the needs of the situation.
· Capacity to work autonomously and in problems prevention/resolution.
· Proven organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues.
· Ability to identify, initiate and maintain good relationships with partner organizations, donors and national authorities including building professional relationships with senior decision-makers and influencers/leaders.
· Good communication, negotiation skills and sensitivity in dealing with local institutions on critical issues.
· Cultural, gender, religion, and age sensitivity and adaptability.
· Strong commitment to the Mission of WeWorld, genuine interest for international cooperation development topics.
· Knowledge and experience in the protection and/or education sector.
· Previous experience in similar positions.
· Previous work experience in Tanzania/Africa
· Fluent in Italian, both written and verbal.
The recruitment process may be closed early if a suitable candidate is found.
Due to the large number of applications, we apologise in advance and will only respond to those profiles deemed suitable for the role.
WeWorld is an equal opportunity organization and will not allow discrimination based upon age, ethnicity, ancestry, gender, national origin, disability, race, size, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, or any other status prohibited by applicable law.
WeWorld has also a zero-tolerance approach to any harm to, or exploitation of, a child or a vulnerable adult by any of our staff, related persons or partners. Safeguarding checks are part of the selection process.
WeWorld commitment to being a safe organization begins with the staff recruitment process which includes meticulous checks, such as criminal records checks or check disclosure of previous convictions, to ensure children and vulnerable people are safeguarded and abuse is prevented.
WeWorld promotes a welcoming, diverse and discrimination- and harassment-free workplace and expects the highest standards of behaviour from all its staff, who are requested to adhere to the principles and behavioural rules defined in the CoEC and the Organisational Poplicies.
The CoEC and all the internal policies can be found here: https://www.weworld.it/en/about-us/transparency