We support people in overcoming emergencies and we strive to guarantee that everyone can have a decent and dignified life as well as opportunities and a better future. We work in 27 countries around the world, including in Italy, with more than 165 emergency, humanitarian aid and development projects. Our activities mainly involve women, girls and young people, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world.
We operate in several natural and man-made crisis in various regions of the world. The emergency response, coordinated by the Humanitarian Aid Unit, is composed by multi-sectorial interventions comprising of WASH, EiE, CVA, Food Security, Protection, and others. We operate also in protracted crisis with provision of humanitarian aid through a prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation approach.
In the last 4 years we have strengthened the regions and the countries where we have been working, we have created new programs, developed new quality and compliance systems and now we need new people who want to join us to build the world we want in the coming years.
Position: Country Representative Ukraine
Location: Kyiv, with frequent travels to the field
Application deadline: 25/09/2023
Starting date: 1 December 2023
Family duty station: NO
Since the beginning of the conflict in Ukraine, around 17 million people are in need of humanitarian assistance and protection throughout Ukraine. WeWorld works alongside those who, despite the conflict, have decided to stay, those who have returned after having abandoned their homes under the attacks, displaced from the eastern part of the country and refugees in Moldova.
The main sectors of intervention are WASH, Shelter/NFI, Child Protection, and MPCA for conflict affected population in newly liberated areas and IDPs residing in the west of the country; psycho-social support activities are carried out mainly to women and children through mobile units and setting up child friendly spaces; distribution of food and non-food items has been provided in collective sites for IDPs and most vulnerable population in the rural areas in the east of the country.
Currently the humanitarian operations of WeWorld are conducted in the Oblasts of Kharkiv, Kherson, Mykolaiv, Odessa and Kyiv. The country office is set down in Kyiv and field offices in Kharkiv, Lviv and soon in Mykolaiv.
Purpose of the Role
The Country Representative is based in the country for which he/she is the legal representative and head of mission of the organization. He/she reports to the Head of Humanitarian Aid Unit. For some issues related to the organization's legal representation in the country and security responsibility, he/she reports directly to the Coordinator of the International Programs Department (hereafter IPR Coordinator) and ultimately to the CEO.
AREAS OF WORK
Representation, External Relations and Accountability
· Legally represents WeWorld in the relevant country vis-à-vis the country government and authorities
· Represents WeWorld and is responsible for relations with donors, local and international partners, and all relevant stakeholders
· Participates in events including public events and speaks on behalf of WeWorld
· Is responsible in-country for the dissemination, implementation, compliance and monitoring of the application of WeWorld Policies
· Is the safeguarding focal point in-country for relevant stakeholders both internal and external
· Is responsible for and promoter of on-site dissemination and training, compliance with and monitoring the application of WeWorld Code of Ethics and Conduct and all internal policies
· Is responsible for the analysis and assessment of risks present in the country
· Is responsible for the security of the organization's people and assets in the country whose management he/she monitors in line with WeWorld policy and reports periodically to Headquarters
· Is responsible for establishing and adhering to WeWorld Security and Evacuation Plan and updating it periodically in consultation with the Security Advisor
· Is responsible for disseminating the Security and Evacuation Plan and providing security training
· Is responsible for adopting, updating and monitoring the Local Operations Manual implementation
Strategy, partnerships and resource mobilization
· Is responsible for the formulation and periodic review of WeWorld in-country strategy and ensures its consistency with the organization's regional and global strategy
· Builds and strengthens strategic partnerships in the country through active participation in networks and coordination mechanisms, promotion of new networks and partnerships
· Develops and enhances in-country strategic programmatic partnerships
· Examines the risks and opportunities presented by WeWorld strategic positioning in the country and prepares appropriate responses
· Contributes to the drafting of project proposals of its area of reference where required
· Strengthens relationships with institutional donors
· Identifies and develops funding opportunities with new donors present locally
Local Office(s) Management, Human Resources and Volunteers/Trainees
· Is responsible for all human resources, expatriate and local, employed in the country
· Proposes and updates the most effective organizational chart, roles, and functions
· Is responsible for the volunteers and interns in the country and defines the needs
· Ensures that the selection of staff at the local headquarters is done in a transparent and non-discriminatory manner
· Analyzes and evaluates the competencies of staff at the local headquarters and prepares training and improvement plans
· Reports training needs and capacity building needs of local office staff and supports in finding and/or processing training opportunities
· Ensures that projects implemented in-country are in line and consistent with the organization's country and regional strategy, have high quality standards, and achieve their objectives
· Is ultimately responsible for the local office's program monitoring system, and ultimately responsible for the quality of project reporting and its compliance
· Reports periodically to the Head of Humanitarian Aid Unit on the progress of the organization's programs in the country and the operation of the local office
Administration and Controlling
· Develops the country's annual budget proposal and submits it to the Regional Manager
· Plans and monitors the approved annual budget
· Is ultimately responsible for the proper use of WeWorld funds in the country and promotes a culture of proper and efficient financial management, quality, transparency, and credibility
· Ensures compliance in the management of the local office and projects implemented
Communication, policy and advocacy
· Is responsible for WeWorld external communication in the country and its adherence to the organization's relevant regulations and guidelines
· Ensures proper visibility of donors in line with donor regulations and rules on the subject
· Disseminates the guidelines for external communication and the use of WeWorld logo to staff
· Proposes external communication and advocacy activities in the country
· Coordinates and supervises the production of content for external communication affecting the country on its own initiative and/or at the request of WeWorld Communication Department
· Contributes to sector policy development where required and ensures the implementation of global and/or regional policies and approaches developed by WeWorld
· Collaborates to ensure that projects/programs feed into the organization's advocacy initiatives
· Is responsible for the production and implementation of the country advocacy strategic plan and its alignment with the organization's overall advocacy strategy
Knowledge Management, Policy and Innovation
· Contributes to the development and introduction of innovation
· Contributes to the dissemination and sharing of good practices and lessons learned at the local level, as well as thematic policy
· Contributes to the planning, implementation and organization of strategic capacity building of staff, partners and stakeholders
· Sets priorities, in consultation with the Head of Humanitarian Aid Unit and IPR Manager, for targeted investments in growth and innovation at the local level
The duties and responsibilities set forth above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to perform additional duties.
Qualifications and Knowledge
· An advanced university degree or equivalent in the field of Social or Political Science, Development Studies, International relations, Project Management, Human rights
· Good knowledge of MS Office
· Fluent in English both written and verbal
· Minimum 5 years’ relevant working experience in related fields
· Working experience with international NGOs in management of international cooperation projects funded by institutional and private donors
· Proven experience in Project Cycle Management
· Sound project development and proposal writing experience
· Experience in Security Management
Skills and Abilities
· Strong flexibility and capacity to adapt behavior to the needs of the situation
· Capacity to work autonomously and in problems prevention/resolution
· Proven organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues
· Ability to identify, initiate and maintain good relationships with partner organizations, donors and national authorities including building professional relationships with senior decision-makers and influencers/leaders
· Good communication, negotiation skills and sensitivity in dealing with local institutions on critical issues
· Cultural, gender, religion, and age sensitivity and adaptability
· Strong commitment to the Mission of WeWorld, genuine interest for international cooperation development topics
· Experience in Cash and Voucher programs and/or EiE and/or Child Protection and/or WASH
· Fluent in Italian and/or Ukrainian, both written and oral
· Previous work experience in the area or in similar contexts
WHAT WE OFFER
Type of contract: a first 6 (six) months contract subject to verification (achievement of specific objectives); a second collaboration contract of 6 (six) months renewable, following the positive evaluation of the first period of collaboration.
Economic conditions to be defined according to WeWorld Expatriates Compensation Policy: Base Salary (seniority/role held) + Contributions (role complex and hardship based on place of work;)
Other conditions: Tax Treatment: equal tax treatment between Italian and foreign residents is guaranteed
Accomodation: housing provided in shared accommodation
Annual leave: 2,5 days/month (working days)
Flight ticket: one return flight every 12 months of contract
Health insurance: covered
R&R Policy: 5 days every 8 weeks, up to 500 euro of travel reimbursement and 500 Euros of perdiem
The recruitment process may be closed early if a suitable candidate is found. Due to the large number of applications, we apologise in advance and will only respond to those profiles deemed suitable for the role.
WeWorld is an equal opportunity organization and will not allow discrimination based upon age, ethnicity, ancestry, gender, national origin, disability, race, size, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, or any other status prohibited by applicable law.
WeWorld has also a zero-tolerance approach to any harm to, or exploitation of, a child or a vulnerable adult by any of our staff, related persons or partners. Safeguarding checks are part of the selection process.
WeWorld commitment to being a safe organization begins with the staff recruitment process which includes meticulous checks, such as criminal records checks or check disclosure of previous convictions, to ensure children and vulnerable people are safeguarded and abuse is prevented.
WeWorld promotes a welcoming, diverse and discrimination- and harassment-free workplace and expects the highest standards of behaviour from all its staff, who are requested to adhere to the principles and behavioural rules defined in the CoEC and the Organisational Policies.
The CoEC and all the internal policies can be found here: https://www.weworld.it/en/about-us/transparency